Dental emergencies come in all shapes and sizes. They can happen anywhere, anytime, and when they do, it’s important that you have the right tools to take care of your situation. While it is always important to call your dentist’s office for immediate assistance, you’ll need to keep a few useful products on hand to minimize further damage or injury. If you are unsure how to create a dental emergency kit, a dentist is here to share which items will most benefit you when faced with an oral healthcare crisis.
Why Are Dental Emergency Kits Important?
A dental emergency kit is a good thing to have on hand simply because you never know when an injury to your mouth might occur. Chips, cracks, knocked-out teeth, soft tissue injuries, lost dental crowns and fillings, and even tooth sensitivity are all common problems that can arise when you least expect it.
By keeping a small kit in your car, at work, and home, you are less likely to enter into panic mode. Instead, you’ll have everything you need at your fingertips so that you can minimize the problem while waiting to see your emergency dentist.
What is To Be Included in a Dental Emergency Kit?
When creating a dental emergency kit, dentists highly recommend that you include the following items:
- Dental wax to help cover any jagged areas of teeth that are chipped or cracked
- Clean gauze or cotton balls to minimize bleeding should you suffer a serious injury
- Denture adhesive in case a crown or bridge becomes dislodged and needs to be temporarily put back into place
- A topical anesthetic like Orajel if your gums are irritated, or you have oral sores caused by dentures or other prosthetics
- Small container to keep a tooth that has been knocked out in
- Dental floss to remove anything that might be lodged between your teeth and causing pain
- Tea bags, as these are helpful should you suffer a soft tissue injury and can help to reduce bleeding
- Over-the-counter pain relievers such as Tylenol or ibuprofen
Don’t let a dental emergency get the best of you. Make sure your kit is ready at all times so that you can take proper care of your smile while waiting to get in for an appointment with your dentist.
About the McCarl Dental Group
The four dental professionals at The McCarl Dental Group are skilled in providing patients with the most accurate information and treatment options. When faced with a dental emergency, we want you to have what you need to take control of the situation at home. If you need help creating your own dental emergency kit, call our dental office today to learn how we can help.