In one of our videos, Dr. Jay McCarl sat down with a patient to discuss dental implant supported tooth replacement available from our Greenbelt team. We invite you to watch the video and read this blog to find out more. Contact our team if you have questions or would like to schedule a dental implant consultation today.
What Does a Dental Implant Do?
Dental implants function like a synthetic root. They are placed as part of an implant supported tooth replacement procedure. Dental implants replace the lost root, support a replacement tooth, and prevent the bone and gum tissue from deteriorating. Best of all, the restored tooth looks and feels completely natural, restoring the cosmetic appearance of your smile as well.
How Does it Work?
The first step is to schedule a dental implant consultation. One of our dentists will examine your smile, capture digital x-rays, and take photos of the lost or damaged tooth. We’ll walk you through all of your treatment options. If we determine dental implant is the best replacement option for you, we’ll schedule an appointment to place the dental implant.
At your implant placement visit, we’ll completely numb the area around the tooth to be replaced so that you are very comfortable. If necessary, we’ll gently remove the bad tooth. We have techniques so you will never have to go without a front tooth. In most cases, we can still place the titanium implant post on the same day. Like the metal rods, screws, and plates used to heal broken bones in other parts of the body, dental implants fuse with the natural bone mimicking the lost root structure. This process is known as osseointegration and we give it several months to get solid.
Once the implant is strong and ready, you’ll return so we can attach a connector. This piece is called an abutment, and it attaches the replacement tooth to the implant post. Finally, we attach a custom crafted dental crown. Crowns are made from durable, high-quality materials that are precisely shaped and shaded to match the natural tooth.
What are the Benefits?
There are many benefits to receiving dental implant supported tooth replacement, and the McCarl Dental Group team has experienced doctors who regularly perform these procedures. Some of the many benefits of implant supported tooth replacement include:
- Chew confidently without fear of losing or damaging replacement tooth
- The restoration is strong and long lasting, in many cases the replacement tooth lasts the rest of a patient’s lifetime
- These replacement teeth cannot get cavities, but you do need to clean them to take care of the gum surrounding the implant supported tooth
- Our skilled dentists have years of experience and we routinely place and restore dental implants
- Implants can also hold a denture securely in place with comfortable snaps
- Dental implants have a high success rate
- Implants can give you back your youthful and confident smile!
Call today to schedule an implant evaluation. You will wish you had done it sooner!