In this recent YouTube video, Dr. Dianna Lee describes the process and benefits of the Invisalign orthodontics system to one of our patients and answers all of her questions. Invisalign offers orthodontic correction without the metal brackets and wires and years of treatment time necessary for traditional braces. Contact McCarl Dental Group to schedule an Invisalign consultation today. One of our doctors will walk you through the process, examine your smile, and get you started right away.
How Does Invisalign Work?
The Invisalign system utilizes a series of clear, plastic alignment trays. Traditional braces use wires to place pressure on brackets attached to the fronts of teeth. This pressure gradually shifts teeth into position. Each set of Invisalign trays is crafted to represent the position of teeth one step closer to the desired result. Patients wear each set of trays for about two weeks then exchange them for the next in the series. Over the course of treatment, patients do need to visit our office every few months to ensure their treatment is progressing according to plan, but for the most part, patients are in complete control of their treatment at home. The entire plan can usually be completed in under a year.
The first step is to schedule an Invisalign consultation. We’ll examine your teeth and take x-rays. The dentist will review all of your options, and if you determine Invisalign is your best choice, we’ll begin treatment on the same day. Using a digital impression wand, we’ll capture bite impressions that are sent to an Invisalign lab where your treatment plan is created and the first few sets of aligners are sent back to our team. Once you return to receive your first set of alignment trays, we’ll be able to outline the entire course of your treatment and accurately estimate the timeframe.
What are the Benefits of Invisalign Orthodontics?
Invisalign is a beneficial orthodontic treatment plan for busy professionals, patients with sensitivities to metal, and those with sensitive teeth or gums. A few of the many benefits of Invisalign include:
- Take out and replace the removable aligners on your own anytime
- Eat, drink, brush, and floss as usual without metal brackets and wires presenting challenges like foods getting stuck or necessitating special hygiene tools
- Completely clear alignment trays are very discrete
- Aligners are more comfortable because there are no metal brackets or wires to irritate soft tissue and the trays shift teeth through gentle, gradual pressure
- Less frequent and shorter checkup appointments are necessary because aligners can be changed out on your own at home
- The process is completely digitized so there is no need for using goopy, messy bite impressions
- Cost of Invisalign is comparable to traditional braces and insurance now provides coverage for Invisalign in most cases