Four Generations of Dental History in Greenbelt, Maryland
The town of Greenbelt was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1997. It is one of three planned communities that were created during the Great Depression as part of the New Deal to house low income families. Championed by Eleanor Roosevelt, the residences constructed in a park-like setting adjacent to a town center are remarkably preserved today. The Federal Government implemented a health insurance plan with salaried physicians and hired two physicians and one dentist to serve its population. The town dentist was the only private practitioner.
Dr James W. McCarl, who had been practicing dentistry since 1924, applied for and was appointed to serve as dentist for the town of Greenbelt in May of 1938. He practiced dentistry at the original location, 30 Ridge Road until 1955 when he purchased 28A and 28B Ridge Road.
Dr J. Taylor McCarl joined his father in practice in 1955. He and his father practiced dentistry in one half of the 28 Ridge Road building. He lived in the other half of the duplex with his wife and children. Dr. J. Taylor McCarl practiced dentistry until 1988.
Dr Clayton McCarl Sr. joined his father and brother in 1956. They remodeled 28 Ridge Road to make one large dental building. The three practiced together for 11 years, until Dr. James W. McCarl’s death in 1967. Dr. Clayton McCarl Sr. and Dr. J. Taylor McCarl practiced together for a total of 32 years. Dr. Clayton McCarl Sr. was the President of the Maryland State Dental Association in 1981 as his father had been in 1944. Dr Clayton McCarl, Sr. retired from dentistry in 1998.
Today, Clayton 's sons Dr. Clayton McCarl, Jr. of Millersville and Dr. Jay McCarl of Crofton, and his daughter Sally McCarl-Moore of Crofton and granddaughter Ashley McCarl Harrison of Annapolis, continue the family dental practice along with cousin Dr. David J. McCarl of Ellicott City, Dr. J. Taylor McCarl's son.
In May 2003 the third generation of McCarl’s opened a second location for their dental practice at the Shipley’s Choice Medical Center in Millersville, Maryland.